Your dogs health and nutrition affects their behaviour.
The health and diet of your dog directly affects not only their physical well being but their mental well being all so.
A dogs behaviour can sometimes be related to ill health or poor diet.
Foods That Are Toxic To or Just-Plain-Bad for Dogs
- Alcohol – Can cause intoxication, coma, and death
- Avocado – The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. The toxic ingredient in avocado is called persin. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart, vomiting, diarrhea, death, inflammation of mammary glands, cardiac failure, respiratory distress, generalized congestion, abdominal enlargement.
- Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Cherry, Plum, Pear, Prunes & similar fruit – The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans causing diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves).
- Baby Food – Can contain onion power which can be toxic to dogs
- Broccoli – Gastrointestinal irritant
- Cat Food – Usually too high in protein and fats.
- Chocolate – Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
- Citrus Oil Extracts – Can cause vomiting
- Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags –Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
- Eggs (raw) Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. If your dog has a partial blockage in their intestines where food can be trapped, e coli or salmonella could breed more easily.
- Egg white contains the protein ‘avidin’ which forms a stable and biologically inactive complex with biotin. The avidin in egg whites will tie up the biotin so it cannot be used by the dog.”**
- Fat Trimmings – Fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis
- Iron – Human vitamin supplements containing iron can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
- Macadamia nuts – Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.
- Marijuana – Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.
- Milk and other dairy products – Some adult dogs do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.
- Mushrooms – Acute gastric effects, liver and kidney damage, abdominal pain, nausea, salivation, vomiting
- Nutmeg – Tremors, seizures and death
- Tobacco – Nausea, salivation, vomiting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
- Onion – Gastrointestinal upset, anemia, destroys red blood cells
- Grapes, Raisins, Prunes – Kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog.
- Persimmons Seeds – Can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis
- Salt – Excessive intake can cause kidney problems
- Tomatoes – Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
- Yeast Dough – Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines
Benefits of Raw Feeding
The benefits of raw are endless....
... lest we ever forget, dogs were hunting and scavenging long before words like pellets, tins, conveyor belts & over-processed kibble had made it into the Oxford dictionary. Dogs and cats are finely-tuned carnivores, anatomically assembled to accommodate raw, ‘nutrient-packed’ meat.
Our BARF recipes, (Biologically, Appropriate Raw Food) are painstakingly prepared meals consisting of top drawer meats, veg and minerals, meticulously mixed to accurately replicate what your pet might have eaten in the wild, and what your domestic carnivore is meant to thrive on today!
Raw, unlike their cooked or over-processed rivals, provides extra nutritious goodness, enhanced vitality and stamina and a natural shield against all manner of unfortunate afflictions.
Benefits our customers most commonly list:
- better overall health
- better digestion and less digestive upsets such as colitis, runny stools
- fewer and better formed stools
- better smelling breath, less tartar, cleaner teeth
- glossier coats
- more stamina
- no itchiness
- food enjoyment
- a calmer, yet more focused, nature
As many of us have long suspected, nature tends to always know best
Salt, while commonly used for cooking in the kitchen, is quite poisonous to dogs and cats. The use of salt to induce vomiting in dogs and cats is no longer the standard of care and is not recommended for use by pet owners or veterinarians! Other sources of salt can be found throughout the household: in homemade play dough, rock salt (for de-icers), paint balls, table salt, sea water, enemas (containing sodium phosphate), etc.
Salt poisoning in dogs and cats results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, lethargy, walking drunk, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated. Treatment for salt poisoning includes careful administration of IV fluids, electrolyte monitoring, treatment for dehydration and brain swelling, and supportive care.
If you think your dog or cat have been poisoned by salt, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately for life-saving treatment advice.
Poison type: Foods
Alternate names: hypernatremia, paintballs, paint balls, homemade play dough, sea salt, enemas, de-icers, table salt
Product Code: PF-VX-HC-100
Function: Internal Parasites
Verm-X Herbal Dog Treats - Natural Intestinal Hygiene Control for Dogs
Looking for a natural alternative to Frontline or Advocate? Try Billy No Mates Tincture as it's a very effective, natural Flea, Tick and Mite Repellent for dogs and cats. Simply add it to your pet's food or drop it onto a treat. We suggest Billy No Mates is used from Easter onwards to provide complete, natural cover for your pet.